At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Maldives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdulla YAMEEN
- Head of Government: President Abdulla YAMEEN
- Assembly: Maldives has a unicameral People's Council (Majlis) with 85 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
Ibrahim Mohamed SOLIH
* The Maldivian Democratic Party is leading an opposition bloc comprised of the MDP, the Jumhoree Party, the Adalath Party, and a splinter faction of the Progressive Party of Maldives.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 383,684 (December 2017)
- Registered Voters: 239,165 (November 2013)
- Female Population: 178,236 (2017)
- Is Maldives a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Maldives ratified CEDAW: Yes, acession (1 July 1993)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: No
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 5 (following the 2009 parliamentary elections)
- Development Index Position: 104 (2014)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Maldives a signatory to CRPD: Yes (2 October 2007)
- Has Maldives ratified CRPD: Yes (5 April 2010)
- Population with a disability: 59,098 (est.