At stake in this Referendum:
- Popular vote on three reforms to the country's tax and pension system.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Federal Councillor Joseph DEISS *
- Head of Government: Federal Councillor Joseph DEISS
- Assembly: Switzerland has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung, Assemblée Féderale) consisting of the Council of States (Standerat, Conseil des Etats, or Consiglio degli Stati) with 46 seats* and the National Council (Nationalrat, Conseil National, or Consiglio Nazionale) with 200 seats.
* President of the Confederation and Head of the Federal Department of Economic Affairs
* The Council of States, consists of 46 members, two elected from each of 20 cantons and one from each of the six half-cantons, according to cantonal procedure.
Population and registered voters:
- Population: 7,389,625 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 4,708,440 (2003)
· Female Population: 3,775,180 (2004)
· Is Switzerland a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (23 January 1987)
· Has Switzerland ratified CEDAW: Yes (27 March 1997)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 50 (National Council); 11 (Council of States) following the 2003 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 3 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Switzerland a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Switzerland ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (15 April 2014)
· Population with a disability: 1,108,443 (est.)