At stake in this election:
• The 13 elected seats of the House of Assembly*
*Formerly called the Legislative Council
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Premier D. Orlando SMITH
- Assembly: British Virgin Islands has a unicameral House of Assembly** with 15 seats.
* The queen is represented by Governor John DUNCAN.
***Formerly called the Legislative Council
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary head of state.
- Premier is appointed by the governor-general.
- In the House of Assembly, 9 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms, 4 members are elected in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 2 members are filled ex officio to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Of the 13 members, one member is elected from each of 9 electoral districts and there are four at-large members. Each voter has 5 votes. The Speaker and Attorney General serve ex officio.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: National Democratic Party (NDP)
- Leader: Orlando Smith
- Seats won in last election: 9
- Party: Virgin Islands Party
- Leader: Julian Fraser
- Seats won in last election: 4
• The last election for the Legislative Council was held on 7 November 2011. There were 13,352 registered voters for the election. The National Democratic Party won 9 seats (of 13) or 48.90% of the vote, the Virgin Islands Party won 4 seats (43.34% of the vote), and independents won 0 seats (7.76% of the vote).
Population and number of registered voters:
• Population: 32,680
• Registered Voters: N/A
• Female Population: 16,994
• Are the British Virgin Islands a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (22 July 1981)
• Have the British Virgin Islands ratified CEDAW: Yes (7 April 1986)
• Gender Quota: No
• Female Candidates in this election: Yes
• Number of Female Legislators: 2 (15%) of 13 seats in the Legislative Council
• Human Development Index (HDI) Position: N/A
• Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
• Are the British Virgin Islands a signatory to CRPD: N/A
• Have the British Virgin Islands ratified CRPD: N/A
• Population with a disability: 4,787