At stake in this election:
- The 125 seats in the National Assembly (Milli Məclis)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ilham ALIYEV*
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Artur RASIZADE
- Assembly: Azerbaijan has a unicameral National Assembly (Milli Məclis) with 125 seats.
*President is eligible for unlimited terms.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Milli Məclis) 125 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Independents
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in last election: 41
- Party: New Azerbaijan Party
- Leader: Ilham ALIYEV
- Seats won in last election: 71
- Party: Civic Solidarity Party
- Leader: Sabir RUSTAMKHANLI
- Seats won in last election: 3
- Party: Motherland Party
- Leader: Fezail AGAMALI
- Seats won in last election: 2
- The last election for the National Assembly (Milli Məclis) was held on 7 November 2010. There were 4,946,588 registered voters for the election. The New Azerbaijan Party won 71 seats (of 125) or 45.85% of the vote, Independents won 41 seats (48.15% of the vote), the Civic Solidarity Party won 3 seats (1.58% of the vote), the Motherland Party won 2 seats (1.37% of the vote), the United People’s Party won 1 seat (1.29% of the vote), the Democratic Reform Party won 1 seat, the Great Creation Party won 1 seat, the Social Welfare Party won 1 seat, the Justice Party won 1 seat, the Civil Unity Party won 1 seat, and the Hope Party won 1 seat. Results can be found here.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,780,780 (July 2015 est.)
- Registered voters: 5,093,289 (2015)
- Female Population: 2,893,382 (July 2015 est.)
- Is Azerbaijan a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
- Has Azerbaijan ratified CEDAW: Yes (10 July 1995)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 20 (16%) of 125 seats in the National Assembly (Milli Məclis)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 76
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High
- Is Azerbaijan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (9 January 2008)
- Has Azerbaijan ratified CRPD: Yes (28 January 2009)
- Population with a disability: 1,452,932 (2015)