*Turnout and results shown are for the Senatorial election only. Three Senators were elected for each of the following provinces: Catamarca; Cordoba; Corrientes; Chubut; La Pampa; Mendoza; Santa Fe; and Tucuman.
At stake in this election:
- 24 seats in the Senate
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Cristina FERNANDEZ DE KIRCHNER *
- Head of Government: President Cristina FERNANDEZ DE KIRCHNER
- Assembly: Argentina has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso de la nación) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 72 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) with 257 seats.
*The electoral system is two-round. To avoid a runoff, the winner must win 45 percent of valid votes. Alternatively, they must win 40 percent of valid votes and at least 10 points more than the next-placed candidate.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by qualified majority to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado) 72 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 6-year terms.** In the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) 257 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
**One-third of the Senate is renewable every two years. Senators are elected from 24 multi-member districts, with 3 Senators each. Two Senate seats per district are granted to the party receiving the highest number of votes, while the other seat is given to the first minority party.
***One-half of the Chamber of Deputies is renewable every two years. Party lists are closed. There are 24 multi-member districts. The threshold is 3 percent.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Front for Victory / Frente para la Victoria (FPV)
- Leader: Cristina FERNANDEZ DE KIRCHNER
- Seats won in last election: 14
- Party: Republican Proposal / Propuesta Republicana (PRO)
- Leader: Mauricio MACRI
- Seats won in last election: 3
- Party: Federal Peronism (Justicialist Party) / Peronismo Federal (Partido Justicialista)
- Leader: Eduardo FELLNER
- Seats won in last election: 1
- Party: Neuquén People's Movement / Movimiento Popular Neuquino (MPN)
- Leader: Jorge SOBISCH
- Seats won in last election: 2
- The last election for the Senate was held on 27 October 2013. There were 6,908,999 registered voters for the election. The Front for Victory Party won 14 seats (37.50% of the vote), the Progressive, Civic and Social Front won 3 seats (18.62% of the vote), the Republican Proposal won 3 seats (17.36% of the vote), the Federal Peronism (Justicialist Party) won 1 seat (3.32% of the vote), the Neuquén People's Movement won 2 seats (2.65% of the vote), the Tierra del Fuegan Social Movement won 1 seat (0.30% of the vote).
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 43,024,374 (2014 est.)
- Registered voters: 30,635,464 (2013)
- Female Population: 21,813,896 (2014 est.)
- Is Argentina a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Argentina ratified CEDAW: Yes (15 July 1985)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 94 (37%) of 257 seats in the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 49
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low
- Is Argentina a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Argentina ratified CRPD: Yes (2 September 2008)
- Population with a disability: 6,453,656