At stake in this election:
- 28 seats in the General Council of the Valleys (Consell General de les Valls)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: French and Spanish Co-Princes François HOLLANDE and Bishop Joan Enric VIVES i SICILIA *
- Head of Government: Executive Council President Antoni MARTI
- Assembly: Andorra has a unicameral General Council of the Valleys (Consell General de las Valls) with 28 seats.
* French Co-prince François HOLLANDE is represented by Thierry LATASTE (since 2015). Spanish Co-prince Bishop Joan Enric VIVES i SICILIA is represented by Josep Maria MAURI (since 2012). The Executive Council President is then formally appointed by the co-princes.
Description of electoral system:
- The French and Spanish Co-Princes is ex officio N/A.
- The Executive Council President is appointed by hereditary state rulers to serve a 4-year term.
- In the General Council of the Valleys (Consell General de las Valls), 14 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms and 14 members are elected by absolute majority vote to serve 4-year terms.**
** Members in the nominal tier are elected from seven 2-seat districts. In the proportional tier members compete in one nationwide constituency.
Main parties in the electoral race:
Leader: Antoni MARTI
Seats won in last election: 20
Leader: Víctor Zamora NAUDI
Seats won in last election: 6
- Party: Liberal Party of Andorra/ Partite Liberal d’Andorra (ALDE)
Leader: Joseph Painted FORNÉ
Seats won in last election: 0
- The last election for the General Council of the Valleys was held on 3 April 2011. There were 21,852 registered voters for the election. Democrats for Andorra won 20 seats (of 28), while the Social Democrats won 6 seats, and the Lauredian Union won 2.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: 41,376 (2014 est.)[iii]
- Is Andorra a signatory to CEDAW: Yes
- Has Andorra ratified CEDAW: Yes (15 January 1997)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 14 (50%) of 28 seats in the General Council of the Valleys (Consell General de las Valls)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Ranking: 34 (2014)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: None
- Is Andorra a signatory to CRPD: Yes (27 April 2007)
- Has Andorra ratified CRPD: Yes (11 March 2014)