At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of Algeria
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Abdelmalek SELLAL
- Assembly: Algeria has a bicameral Parliament (Majlis) consisting of the Council of the Nation (Majlis al-Oumma) with 144 seats and the National People's Assembly (Al-Majlis Ech-Chaabi Al-Watani) with 462 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term. There are no presidential term limits.
- The last presidential election took place on April 9, 2009. Prior to the election, the Constitution was amended to remove Article 74, limiting the President to two-terms. President Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA was elected to a third term with 90.23% of votes. The opposition Movement of Society for Peace and the Islamic Renaissance Movement have said that they will boycott the presidential election. Campaigning for the election began on March 22, 2014.
Main candidates in this presidential race:
- Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA
- Louisa HANOUNE
- Ali BENFLIS
- Party: Independent
- Abdelaziz BELAID
- Moussa TOUATI
- Party: Algerian National Front / الجبهة الوطنية الجزائرية , Front National Algérien (FNA)
- Ali Fawzi REBAINE
- Party: Generation of ’54 / عهد 54
Population and Voter Registration:
- Population: 38,813,722 (July 2014 est.)
- Registered Voters: 22,880,678 (March 2014)