At stake in this election:
- 125 seats in the National Assembly.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Gurbanguly BERDYMUKHAMMEDOV
- Head of Government: President Gurbanguly BERDYMUKHAMMEDOV
- Assembly: Turkmenistan has a unicameral National Assembly (Mejlis) with 125 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- In the National Assembly (Mejlis) 125 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Last National Assembly election:
- The last National Assembly election was held on December 14, 2008.
Main Parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party of Turkmenistan (DPT) / Türkmenistanyň Demokratik partiýasy
- Leader: Kasymguly BABAEV
- Seats won in last election: 125
- Seats won in this election: 47
- Party: Party of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs
- Leader: Ovezmammed MAMMEDOV
- Seats won in last election: N/A
- Seats won in this election: 14
- Organisation of Trade Unions of Turkmenistan
- Seats won in this election: 33
- Women's Union of Turkmenistan
- Seats won in this election: 16
- Magtymguly Youth Organisation
- Seats won in this election: 8
- Groups of citizens:
- Seats won in this election: 7
Population and voter registration:
- Population: 5,113,040 (July 2013 est.)
- Voter Registration: 2,987,324 (2012)
 President BERDYMUKHAMMEDOV stepped down as party chairman on 18 August 2013.
 The Party of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs was established in August 2012 after a January 2012 law permitted the creation of an opposition party. This will be the first multi-party election in Turkmenistan’s history.