At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Lithuania
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Dalia GRYBAUSKAITE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Algirdas BUTKEVICIUS
- Assembly: Lithuania has a unicameral Parliament (Seimas) with 141 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term. The president is limited to two 5-year terms in office.
Candidates in this presidential race:
- Dalia GRYBUSKAITĖ
- Zigmantas BALČYTIS
- The first round of voting in the presidential election was held on May 11, 2014. Seven candidates participated in this stage of the election, with no candidate receiving an absolute majority of votes. As such, the run-off election will be held between President Dalia GRYBUSKAITĖ (46.61 percent of the vote in the first round) and former Acting Prime Minister Zigmantas BALČYTIS (13.84 percent of the vote in the first round) on May 25, 2014. This election will be held on the same day that Lithuanians cast their ballots in European Parliament elections.
- The last presidential election was held on May 17, 2009. Dalia GRYBUSKAITĖ was elected with 68.21 percent of the vote.
Population and Voter Registration:
- Population: 2,944,459 (January 2014)
- Registered Voters: 2,554,532 (May 2014)
· Female Population: 1,582,061 (2014)
· Is Lithuania a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Lithuania ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (18 January 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 34 (following the 2012 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 37 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Lithuania a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Lithuania ratified CRPD: Yes (18 August 2010)
· Population with a disability: 448,165 (est.)
 All candidates for president are independent. While some candidates belong to a political party, the office of the president is non-partisan.