At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of Ukraine
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Acting President Oleksandr TURCHYNOV
- Head of Government: Interim Prime Minister Arseniy YATSENYUK
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by an absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- This presidential election was originally scheduled to take place on 26 February 2015. However, on 21 February 2014, amid violent street protests, President YANUKOVYCH signed a deal with the political opposition that included holding the presidential election by the end of the year. After President YANUKOVYCH was impeached by parliament the next day and an interim government installed, the parliament voted to hold this election on 25 May. If no candidate receives a majority of votes, a second round runoff election will be held on 15 June.
- From 7-14 April 2014, the Central Election Commission (CEC) passed several amendments to the electoral law aimed at improving the transparency and fairness of the process. For example, there are clearer stipulations of permitted pre-election “agitation” activities, new requirements for media outlets to ensure more balanced coverage of the election (including a televised debate and stricter advertisement laws), and provisions for greater transparency of candidate information and opinion polling data. Several technical and logistical provisions were also passed.
Main candidates in this presidential race:
- Olga BOGOMOLETS
- Yuriy BOYKO
- Andriy GRINENKO
Party: Civil Position / Політична партія „Громадянська позиція”
- Mykhailo DOBKIN
- Oleksandr KLYMENKO
- Renat KUZMIN
- Vasyl KUYBIDA
- Oleg LYASHKO
- Mykola MALOMUZH
- Petro POROSHENKO
- Vadim RABINOVICH
- Volodymyr SARANOV
- Petro SYMONENKO
- Yulia TYMOSHENKO
Party: All-Ukrainian Union “Fatherland” / Всеукраїнське об'єднання "Батьківщина"
- Sergiy TIHIPKO
- Oleh TYAHNYBOK
- Vasyl TSUSHKO
- Zoran SHKIRIAK
- Dmytro YAROSH
Party: Right Sector / Правий сектор
Population and Voter Registration:
- Population: 44,291,413 (July 2014 est.)
- Registered Voters: 35,500,913 (April 2014)
 TURCHYNOV was appointed Acting President on 23 February 2014, one day after former President YANUKOVYCH was impeached and fled the country.
 YATSENYUK was appointed Interim Prime Minister by the Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada) on 27 February 2014.
 List of candidates as of May 2, 2014. Two candidates, Natalia KOROLEVSKA and Oleg TSAROV had been approved to compete in the election, but withdrew.
 BOGOMOLETS is supported by the Socialist Party of Ukraine (SPU) / Соціалістична Партія України
 Served as Vice Prime Minister from December 24, 2012 to February 27, 2014. BOYKO was expelled from the Party of Regions on 7 April 2014.
 DOBKIN is the official candidate of the Party of Regions. BOYKO, TIHIPKO, and TSAROV had also looked to run for the Party of Regions, but are instead contesting the election as independents.
 POROSHENKO is contesting the election as an independent. Vitaly KLITSCHKO, who was also expected to contest the election, dropped out to support POROSHENKO in the election, and will instead run for Mayor of Kyiv.
 TIHIPKO was expelled from the Party of Regions on 7 April 2014.
 Population and registered voters include Ukrainians living in the occupied Autonomous Region of Crimea.