At stake in this election:
- 65 seats in the House of Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: King MSWATI III
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Sibusiso Barnabas DLAMINI
- Assembly: Swaziland has a bicameral Parliament (Libandla) consisting of the Senate with 30 seats and the House of Assembly with 65 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The King is hereditary N/A.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the monarch.
- In the Senate 30 members are appointed to serve 5-year terms*. In the House of Assembly, 10 members are appointed to serve 4-year terms and 55 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.**
* In the Senate, 10 members are appointed by House of Assembly and 20 members are appointed by the monarch, all to serve 5-year terms.
** In House of Assembly, 10 members are appointed by the monarch to serve 4-year terms and 55 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: N/A: Political party activity in Swaziland has been formally banned by royal decree since 1973.
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in last House of Assembly election: N/A
Last Parliamentary election:
- Parliamentary elections were last held on October 11, 1993.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,031,600 (July 1997 est.)
- Registered Voters: 200,000 ( approx.)