At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Chile
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Sebastian PIÑERA
- Head of Government: President Sebastian PIÑERA
- Assembly: Chile has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 38 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 120 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term. Presidents are allowed to serve unlimited non-consecutive terms.
- The last presidential election occurred on January 17, 2010, when Sebastián PIÑERA was elected to serve a 4-year term with 51.61% of the vote. PIÑERA led the Coalition for Change / Coalición por el Cambio, a coalition of center-right parties. PIÑERA is barred from contesting a second term. The first round of presidential elections will be held on November 17, 2013 alongside elections to the Senate and Chamber of Deputies.
Main Candidates in the First Round of the Presidential race:
- Michelle BACHELET[i]
Socialist Party of Chile / Partido Socialista de Chile (PS)
- Evelyn MATTHEI[ii]
Independent Democratic Union / Unión Demócrata Independiente (UDI)
- Franco PARISI
- Marco ENRÍQUEZ-OMINAMI
Progressive Party / Partido Progresista (PRO)
- Marcel CLAUDE
Humanist Party / Partido Humanista
- Alfredo SFEIR
Green Ecologist Party / Partido Ecologista Verde
- Ricardo ISRAEL
Regionalist Party of the Independents / Partido Regionalista de los Independientes (PRI)
- Tomás JOCELYN-HOLT
- Roxana MIRANDA
Equality Party / Partido Igualdad
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 17,216,945 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 13,388,643 (January 2012)[iii]
· Female Population: 8,906,407 (2013)
· Is Chile a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Chile ratified CEDAW: Yes (7 December 1989)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 19 (Chamber of Deputies); 4 (Senate) (following 2013 parliamentary election)
· Human Development Index Position: 42
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Chile a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Chile ratified CRPD: Yes (29 July 2008)
· Population with a disability: 2,582,541 (est.)
[i] BACHELET has been endorsed by the New Majority / Nueva Mayoría coalition. BACHELET previously served as President from 2006-2010.
[ii] MATTHEI has been endorsed by the Alliance / La Alianza coalition. The original candidate of the UDI, Pablo LONGUEIRA resigned his candidacy in July 2013, citing health reasons.
[iii] An electoral reform law passed in Jan. 2012 automatically registered all Chileans over the age of 18 to vote, increasing voter registration by 55 percent.