At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Maldives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mohammed WAHEED Hassan Maniku *
- Head of Government: President Mohammed WAHEED Hasssan Maniku
- Assembly: Maldives has a unicameral People's Council (Majlis) with 77 seats.
* On February 7, 2012, Maldives President Mohamed NASHEED stepped down amidst political unrest. Vice President Mohamed WAHEED Hassan Maniku assumed the office of President.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the People's Council (Majlis) 77 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** In February 2009, the number of seats increased from 50 to 77.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Mohamed NASHEED
- Mohammed WAHEED Hassan Maniku**
- Independent(s): Independent
- Qasim IBRAHIM
- Abdulla YAMEEN
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 393,988 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 239,593 (September 2013)
· Female Population: 195,943 (2013)
· Is Maldives a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Maldives ratified CEDAW: Yes, acession (1 July 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 5 (following the 2009 parliamentary elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 104 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Maldives a signatory to CRPD: Yes (2 October 2007)
· Has Maldives ratified CRPD: Yes (5 April 2010)
· Population with a disability: 59,098 (est.)