At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Mali
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Dioncounda TRAORE *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Django SISSOKO
- Assembly: Mali has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 147 seats.
* Former president Amadou Toumani TOURE was overthrown in military coup on March 21, 2012. TRAORE is interim President.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 147 members are elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** 147 members are elected through a majority party-list system in two rounds of voting to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Ibrahim Boubacar KEITA
Party: Rally for Mali (RPM)
- Soumaila CISSE
Party: Union for the Republic and Democracy (URD)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 15,968,882 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,829,696 (August 2013 )