At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Mali
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Dioncounda TRAORE *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Django SISSOKO
- Assembly: Mali has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 147 seats.
* Former president Amadou Toumani TOURE was overthrown in military coup on March 21, 2012. TRAORE is interim President.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 147 members are elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** 147 members are elected through a majority party-list system in two rounds of voting to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Ibrahim Boubacar KEITA
- Party: Rally for Mali (RPM)
- Soumaila CISSE
- Party: Union for the Republic and Democracy (URD)
- Dramane DEMBELE
- Party: Alliance for Democracy in Mali (Adema-PASJ)
- Modibo SIDIBE
- Alliance: Alternative Forces for Renewal and Emergence (FARE)
- Housseini GUINDO
- Party: Convergence pour le développement du Mali (CODEM)
- Other Candidates******
- Party: N/A
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 15,968,882 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,829,696 (July 2013)
· Female Population: 6,840,521 (2007)
· Is Mali a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (5 February 1985)
· Has Mali ratified CEDAW: Yes (10 September 1985)
· Gender Quota: No, but there are voluntary quotas for some political parties
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 15 (following the 2007 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 179 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Mali a signatory to CRPD: Yes (15 May 2007)
· Has Mali ratified CRPD: Yes (7 April 2008)
· Population with a disability: 2,488,814 (est.)