At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Mongolia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Tsakhiagiin ELBEGDORJ *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Norovyn ALTANKHUTAG
- Assembly: Mongolia has a unicameral State Great Hural (Ulsyn Ikh Khural) with 76 seats.
* To be eligible to seek the presidency, one must belong to a political party with seats in parliament but resign that party affiliation upon taking office.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the State Great Hural (Ulsyn Ikh Khural), 48 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 28 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** In the nominal tier, there will be 6 single-member constituencies, 18 two-member constituencies and 2 three-member constituencies.There is a five percent threshold in the PR tier.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Tsakhiagiin ELBEGDORJ*
Party: Democratic Party (DP) / Ардчилсан Нам (Ardchilsan Nam)
- Badmaanyambuugiin BAT-ERDINE
Party: Mongolian People's Party (MPP) / Монгол Ардын Нам (Mongol Ardiin Nam) (МАН)
- Natsag UDVAL
Party: Mongolian People's Revolutionary Party / Монгол Ардын Хувьсгалт Нам Mongol Ardyn Khuvsgalt Nam (МАХН)
* ELBEGDORJ is also supported by the Civil Will – Green Party / Иргэний Зориг – Ногоон Нам (Irgenii Zorig – Nogoon Nam) and the Mongolian National Democratic Party / Монгол Үндэсний Ардчилсан Нам (Mongol Undesnii Ardchilsan Nam).
- The 2013 Presidential election will mark two firsts for Mongolia. For the first time, Mongolian citizens living abroad will be able to vote in the Presidential elections. Additionally, for the first time, OSCE/ODIHR will conduct an election monitoring mission with over 300 short- and long-term observers.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,226,516 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 1,833,478 (June 2012 )