At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Paraguay
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Federico FRANCO Gómez *
- Head of Government: President Federico FRANCO Gómez **
- Assembly: Paraguay has a bicameral Congress (Congreso) consisting of the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) with 45 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 80 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
** President-Elect Horacio CARTES will be inaugurated in August 2013.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) 45 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) 80 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Horacio CARTES
- Efraín ALEGRE
- Mario FERREIRO***
- Coalition: Forward Country (AP) / Avanza Pais
- Miguel CARRIZOSA
- Anibal CARRILLO*****
- Coalition: Front Guasu (FG) / Frente Guasú
*** AP is a coalition of opposition parties.
***** FG is a coalition of center-left and left opposition parties supported by former President Fernando Lugo.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 6,465,669 (2013)
- Registered Voters: 3,516,275 (2013)
· Female Population: 3,184,123 (2013)
· Is Paraguay a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Paraguay ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (12 January 1995)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 14 (Chamber of Deputies); 9 (Senate) following the 2008 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 112
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low
· Is Paraguay a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Paraguay ratified CRPD: Yes (3 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 969,850 (est.)