At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Venezuela
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Nicolás MADURO Moras *
- Head of Government: President Nicolás MADURO Moras
- Assembly: Venezuela has a unicameral National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) with 167 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government. In 2009, a national referendum approved the elimination of term limits on all elected officials, including the presidency.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 6-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional), 65 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms, 68 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms, 31 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 3 members are reserved for indigenous peoples to serve 5-year terms.***
*** Parties may nominate candidates for both the nominal and ordinal tiers.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Nicolás MADURO Moras
Party: United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) / Partido Socialista Unido de Venezuela
- Henrique CAPRILES Radonski
Party: Justice First (PJ) / Primero Justicia
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 28,047,938 (July 2012 est)
- Registered Voters: 18,904,364 ( 2012 est.)