At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Montenegro
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Filip VUJANOVIC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Milo DJUKANOVIC
- Assembly: Montenegro has a unicameral Assembly (Skupstina) with 81 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by direct vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Assembly (Skupstina) 81 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Filip VUJANOVIC*
Party: Democratic Party of Socialists (DPS) / Demokratska Partija Socijalista Crne Gore
- Miodrag LEKIC**
* Former coalition members, the Social Democratic Party of Montenegro (SDP) broke with DPS over the decision to nominate VUJANOVIC for a third term. The Constitutional Court dismissed their case in February 2013.
** Although running as an independent, LEKIC has been endorsed by the Democratic Front (bloc) and the Socialist People’s Party / Socijalistička narodna partija Crne Gore,
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 621,207 (2013)
- Registered Voters: 514,055 (April 2012)
· Female Population: 314,379 (2013)
· Is Montenegro a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Montenegro ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (23 October 2006)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 12 (following the 2012 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 49 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Montenegro a signatory to CRPD: Yes (27 September 2007)
· Has Montenegro ratified CRPD: Yes (2 November 2009)
· Population with a disability: 93,181 (est.)