At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Benin
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Thomas Boni YAYI
- Head of Government: President Thomas Boni YAYI
- Assembly: Benin has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 83 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 83 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Seats are split into 24 multi-member constituencies creating a low district magnitude.
Main Candidates in the First Round of the Presidential race:
- Thomas Yayi BONI*
- Adrien HOUNGBEDJI**
- Party: Democratic Renewal Party / Parti du renouveau démocratique (PRD)
- Abdoulaye BIO-TCHAN
- Party: N/A
- Salifou ISSA
- Party: Union for Relief / Forces Cauris pour un Bénin Emergent (UPR)
* Union pour la majorité présidentielle plurielle is made up of 80 minor parties and 150 civil society groups.
** HOUNGBEDJI leads the opposition coalition, Union fait la Nation (UFN).
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,056,010 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 3,668,558 (April 2011 )