At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Uganda
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI *
- Head of Government: President Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI
- Assembly: Uganda has a unicameral National Assembly with 332 seats.
* The president is both chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly, 215 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms, 79 members are reserved for women to serve 5-year terms, 13 members are designated ex officio to serve 5-year terms and 25 members are reserved by legally established special interest groups.***
*** Of the special interest group members, there are 10 Uganda People's Defence Forces Representatives, 5 Representatives of the Youth, 5 Representatives of Persons with Disabilities, and 5 Representatives of Workers.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI
Civic Movement: National Resistance Movement (NRM)
- Kizza Kifeefe BESIGYE
Civic Movement: Forum for Democratic Change (FDC)
- Norbert MAO
Party: Democratic Party (DP)
- Beti Kamya KAMYA
Party: Uganda Federal Alliance (UFA)
- Bidandi SSALI
Party: People's Progressive Party (PPP)
- Olara OTUNNU
Party: Uganda People's Congress (UPC)
- Samuel LUBEGA
- Abed BWANIKA
Party: People’s Development Party (PDP)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 33,398,682 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 14,000,000 (February 2011 Approx.)