Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Laszlo SOLYOM
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Viktor ORBAN
- Assembly: Hungary has a unicameral National Assembly (Orszaggyules) with 386 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term. *
- The Prime Minister is elected by the National Assembly.**
- In the National Assembly (Orszaggyules), 176 members are elected in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms, 152 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms and 58 members are allocated from a national compensatory list.***
* To be elected, the president must win two-thirds of legislative votes in the first two rounds or a simple majority in the third round.
** On the recommendation of the president.
*** Every voter may cast two votes: one in her respective single-member district and one for a party list. Single-member district elections are two-round. In the first round, all candidates who receive more than 15 percent of the vote move on to the second round. For the first round in any given district to be valid, more than 50 percent of registered voters must participate in that district. In the second round, that number is only 25 percent. Party votes contribute to the election by proportional representation of members from 20 multi-member constituencies. The threshold in this tier is 5 percent nationwide. Finally, compensatory seats are allocated to parties in proportion to their sums of votes for non-winning candidates and party lists.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Pál SCHMITT
- Krisztina MORVAI**
- András BALOGH
** MORVAI is not an official member of Jobbik
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,000,023 (2010)
- Registered Voters: 386 ( Registered Voter total reflects number of parliamentarians in National Assembly)
· Female Population: 5,250,102 (2010)
· Is Hungary a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (6 June 1980)
· Has Hungary ratified CEDAW: Yes (22 December 1980)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 35 (following the 2010 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 44
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Hungary a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Hungary ratified CRPD: Yes (20 July 2007)
· Population with a disability: 1,500,003 (est.)