At stake in this Referendum:
- Voters will participate in two referendums to determine whether the government of San Marino should apply to join the European Union and whether workers' salaries should be tied to the rate of inflation.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Co-Chiefs of State Captain Regents Gian Carlo CAPICCHIONI and Anna Maria MUCCIOLI *
- Head of Government: There is no proper Head of Government in San Marino. However, in some cases, the Minister of Foreign and Political Affairs (Mr. Pasquale VALENTINI) can act as Head of Government
- Assembly: San Marino has a unicameral Grand and General Council (Consiglio Grande e Generale) with 60 seats. ***
* The Co-Chiefs of State (captains regent) are elected by the Great and General Council for a six-month term.
*** There is a 3.5 percent threshold. If the coalition with the highest number of votes fails to win 35 seats, it is given "bonus seats" to meet the 35-seat requirement.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Application for Membership in the European Union If approved, the government of San Marino will apply for membership in the European Union. After the terms of accession are negotiated, another referendum would be held to accept membership
- Revaluation of employee salaries. If approved, salaries of workers will be revalued on January 1 at the same rate as the Government's official inflation figure.
- If a referendum question receives a majority yes vote, and 32% of registered voters vote in favor, it passes into law.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 31,391 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 33,303 (October 2013)
· Is San Marino a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (26 September 2003)
· Has San Marino ratified CEDAW: Yes (10 December 2003)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 10 (following the 2012 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: N/A
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is San Marino a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has San Marino ratified CRPD: Yes (22 February 2008)
· Population with a disability: 4,708 (est.)