At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Moldova
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mihai GHIMPU
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Vlad FILAT
- Assembly: Moldova has a unicameral Parliament (Parlament) with 101 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is indirectly elected by parliament to serve a 4-year term.*
- The Prime Minister is designated by the president upon consultation with Parliament..
- In the Parliament (Parlament) 101 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
* The electoral system is two-round. 61 votes are needed (the votes of three-fifths of elected legislators). If more than two candidates run and none achieves this threshold, there is a runoff between the top two candidates within 10 days. If two or fewer candidates run and none achieves this threshold, there is a repeat election within 30 days. If no President is elected after a repeat election, the acting President dissolves Parliament, and there are new legislative elections. Parliament may be dissolved once per year.
*** There is a three percent threshold for independent candidates, five percent threshold for parties. An election is valid only if one-third of registered voters turn out.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Marian LUPU*
* The AEI is composed of the Liberal Democratic Party, the Liberal Party, the Democratic Party, and the Our Moldova Alliance
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,320,748 (July 2009 est.)
- Registered Voters: 101 ( Registered voter number reflects number of parliamentarians)