At stake in this election:
- The office of Interim President of Gabon
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Interim President Rose Francine ROGOMBE *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Jean Eyeghe NDONG
- Assembly: Gabon has a bicameral Parliament (Parlement) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 91 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 120 seats.
* The electoral system is two-round. Senate President ROGOMBE assumed the Interim Presidency after President Omar BONGO died on 8 June 2009.
Description of electoral system:
- The Interim President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 7-year term.
- In the Senate (Sénat) 91 members are elected by members of municipal councils and departmental assemblies to serve 5-year terms*. In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 120 members are elected by direct popular vote to serve 5-year terms.**
* One member is elected by the regional assembly from each constituency. Most sources report that the election is by plurality.
** According to the electoral law, seats are apportioned to each province or department in proportion to population. The manner of election is fixed by law. Various sources report that 111 members are elected from single-member districts by plurality or two-round majority, and that 9 members are appointed by the President.
Main candidates in this election
- Ali BONGO Ondimba
- Party: Gabonese Democratic Party
- Andre Mba OBAME
- Party: Independent
- Pierre MAMBOUNDOU
- Party: Union of the Gabonese People
- Zacharie MYBOTO
- Party: Gabonese Union for Democracy and Development
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,507,428 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 807,402 (2009)
· Female Population: 748,019 (2009)
· Is Gabon a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Gabon ratified CEDAW: Yes (21 January 1983)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 15 (National Assembly) following 2009 elections; 18 (Senate) following 2009 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 110 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Gabon a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Gabon ratified CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Population with a disability: 175,967 (est.)