At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Kyrgyzstan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Kurmanbek BAKIEV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Igor CHUDINOV
- Assembly: Kyrgyzstan has a unicameral Supreme Council (Jorgorku Kenesh) with 90 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is nominated by parliament.**
- In the Supreme Council (Jorgorku Kenesh) 90 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
** The prime minister is nominated by the parliamentary party which holds more than 50% of the seats. The nomination must then be approved by the president. If no party holds more than 50% of seats, the president may select the party that will nominate a prime minister.
*** The electoral system is closed list PR. Parties must clear a threshold of five percent of registered voters nationwide. They they must clear a second threshold of 0.5 percent of all registered voters in each of the country's seven regions, plus the cities Bishkek and Osh.
** After the February 27th elections, the parliament will become a unicameral body with 75 seats.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Kurmanbek BAKIEV
- Party: Ak Jol
- Toktayym UMETALIYEVA
- Independent(s): N/A
- Almaz ATAMBAEV
- Party: Social Democratic Party
- Temir SARIEV
- Party: White Falcon / Ak-Shumkar
- Jenishbek NAZARALIEV
- Independent(s): N/A
- Nurlan MOTUEV
- Party: Joomart
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,383,300 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 2,670,530 (July 2005)
· Female Population: 2,728,176 (2009)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (10 February 1997)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 23 (following the 2007 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 120 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (21 September 2011)
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 807,495 (est.)