At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Iran
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ali Hoseini- KHAMENEI *
- Head of Government: President Mahmud AHMADINEJAD
- Assembly: Iran has a unicameral Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majles-e-Shura-ye-Eslami) with 290 seats.
* The Leader of the Islamic Revolution is appointed for life by the Assembly of Experts.
Description of electoral system:
- The Leader of the Islamic Revolution is appointed.
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majles-e-Shura-ye-Eslami) 290 members are elected by qualified plurality vote to serve 4-year terms.***
*** District magnitudes range from one to six. Five of 290 seats are reserved to recognized religious minorities. The electoral system is based on the multiple non-transferable vote (i.e. voters have as many votes to cast as there are seats to fill in the respective constituency). The victory threshold for a candidate is 25 percent, however. If no candidate exceeds 25 percent of votes in the first round, a second-round election is held. Two-way ties are broken by lot. There are no clear provisions for breaking ties among three or more candidates.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Mahmoud AHMADINEJAD
- Alliance: Alliance of Builders of Islamic Iran
- Mir Hossein MOUSAVI
- Independent(s): N/A
- Mehdi KARRUBI
- Alliance: National Trust Party
- Moshen REZAI
- Independent(s): N/A
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 73,370,982 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 46,200,000 (October 2009 - Estimated eligible voting population. Source: Mardomak.org.)
· Female Population: 36,200,675 (2009)
· Is Iran a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Iran ratified CEDAW: No
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 2008 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 69
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Iran a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Iran ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (23 Occtober 2009)
· Population with a disability: 11,005,647 (est.)