At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Lithuania
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Valdas ADAMKUS
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Andrius KUBILIUS
- Assembly: Lithuania has a unicameral Parliament (Seimas) with 141 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the Parliament (Seimas), 71 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 70 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Dalia GRYBAUSKAITE
- Independent(s): Independent
- Algirdas BUTKEVICIUS
- Valentinas MAZURONIS
- Valdemar TOMASEVSKI
- Party: Electoral Action of Poles in Lithuania / Lietuvos lenkų rinkimų akcija
- Kazimira PRUNSKIENE
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 3,162,916 (2009)
- Registered voters: 2,691,603 (2009)
· Female Population: 1,702,345 (2009)
· Is Lithuania a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Lithuania ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (18 January 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 25 (following the 2008 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 37 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Lithuania a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Lithuania ratified CRPD: Yes (18 August 2010)
· Population with a disability: 474,437 (est.)