At stake in this election:
- The office of President of El Salvador
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Elias Antonio SACA Gonzalez *
- Head of Government: President Elias Antonio SACA Gonzalez
- Assembly: El Salvador has a unicameral Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) with 84 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) 84 members are elected by party-list system with proportional distribution of seats to serve 3-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Mauricio FUNES
- Rodrigo ÁVILA
Last Presidential election:
- ARENA candidate Antonioo SACA won El Salvador's last presidential election, which was held on 21 March 2004.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 6,021,368 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 4,226,479 (January 2009 )
· Female Population: 3,170,420 (2009)
· Is El Salvador a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (14 November 1980)
· Has El Salvador ratified CEDAW: Yes (19 August 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 16 (following the 2009 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 116 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is El Salvador a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has El Salvador ratified CRPD: Yes (14 December 2007)
· Population with a disability: 903,205 (est.)