At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Maldives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Maumoon Abdul GAYOOM *
- Head of Government: President Maumoon Abdul GAYOOM **
- Assembly: Maldives has a unicameral People's Council (Majlis) with 50 seats.
* This is the Maldives' first multicandidate presidential election. Prior to this election, Maldivian presidents were nominated by the People's Majlis and subsequently approved by citizens via popular referendum.
** The President is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote.
- In the People's Council (Majlis), 8 members are appointed by the President to serve 5-year terms and 42 members are elected by simple majority vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Maumoon Abdul GAYOOM
- Mohamed NASHEED
Last Presidential election:
- The leadership of President Maumoon Abdul GAYOOM, who has held power since 11 November 1978, was last ratified by a national referendum on 17 October 2003 with 90.3% of the popular vote in favot. Political parties were allowed to register for the first time in June 2005.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 362,000 (2008)
- Registered Voters: 208,252 (October 2008)
· Female Population: 180,387 (2008)
· Is Maldives a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Maldives ratified CEDAW: Yes, acession (1 July 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 6 (following the 2005 parliamentary elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 104 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Maldives a signatory to CRPD: Yes (2 October 2007)
· Has Maldives ratified CRPD: Yes (5 April 2010)
· Population with a disability: 54,300 (est.)