At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Russia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Vladimir Vladimirovich PUTIN
- Head of Government: Premier Viktor Alekseyevich ZUBKOV
- Assembly: Russia has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Federalnoye Sobraniye) consisting of the Federation Council (Sovet Federatsii) with 168 seats and the State Duma (Gosudarstvennaya Duma) with 450 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- The Premier is appointed by the president.
- In the Federation Council (Sovet Federatsii) 168 members are appointed by regional governing councils to serve 4-year terms*. In the State Duma (Gosudarstvennaya Duma) 450 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.**
* Members appointed by the top executive and legislative officials in each of the 84 federal administrative units.
** Seats are allocated using the Hare quota. There is one, nationwide district and a minimum threshold of 7%.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Dmitry Anatolyevich MEDVEDEV
- Party: United Russia
- Andrey Vladimirovich BOGDANOV
- Party: Democratic Party of Russia
- Vladimir Volfovich ZHIRINOVSKY
- Party: Liberal-Democratic Party of Russia (LDPR)
- Gennady Andreyevich ZYUGANOV
- Party: Communist Party of the Russian Federation (KPRF)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 142,742,350 (2008)
- Registered Voters: 107,222,016 (March 2008 according to Central Election Commission results)
· Female Population: 76,551,471 (2008)
· Is Russia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Russia ratified CEDAW: Yes (23 January 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 63 (State Duma) following the 2007 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 50 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Russia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2008)
· Has Russia ratified CRPD: Yes (25 September 2012)
· Population with a disability: 21,411,352 (est.)