At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Trinidad and Tobago
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President George Maxwell RICHARDS *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Patrick MANNING
- Assembly: Trinidad and Tobago has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 31 seats and the Hose of Representatives with 41 seats.
* The office of president is a largely ceremonial one. The President is indirectly elected by an electoral college consisting of all members of both houses of parliament.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by an electoral college to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Senate, 16 members are appointed by the ruling party to serve 5-year terms, 9 members are appointed by the president to serve 5-year terms and 6 members are appointed by the opposition to serve 5-year terms. In the Hose of Representatives 41 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- George Maxwell RICHARDS
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,315,372 (2008)
- Registered Voters: N/A
· Female Population: 663,961 (2008)
· Is Trinidad and Tobago a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (27 June 1985)
· Has Trinidad and Tobago ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 January 1990)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 11 (House of Representatives) following the 2007 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 64 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Trinidad and Tobago a signatory to CRPD: Yes (27 September 2007)
· Has Trinidad and Tobago ratified CRPD: Yes (25 June 2015)
· Population with a disability: 197,305 (est.)