At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Serbia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Boris TADIC *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Vojislav KOSTUNICA
- Assembly: Serbia has a unicameral National Assembly with 250 seats.
* The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term which is renewable once.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly 250 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Boris TADIC
- Party: Democratic Party (DS)
- Tomislav NIKOLIC
- Party: Serbia Radical Party (SRS)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,350,222 (2008)
- Registered Voters: 6,708,697 (2008)
· Female Population:3,757,862 (2008)
· Is Serbia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Serbia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (12 May 2001)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 51 (following the 2007 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 66 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Serbia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (17 December 2007)
· Has Serbia ratified CRPD: Yes (31 July 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,102,533 (est.)