At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Sierra Leone
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ahmad Tejan KABBAH *
- Head of Government: President Ahmad Tejan KABBAH
- Assembly: Sierra Leone has a unicameral Parliament with 124 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Parliament, 112 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 12 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 5-year terms.***
*** 12 seats are filled by paramount chiefs elected in separate elections.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Ernest Bai KOROMA
- Party: All People's Congress (APC)
- Solomon E. BEREWA
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,391,108 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 2,600,000 (2007)
· Female Population: 2,731,545 (2007)
· Is Sierra Leone a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (21 September 1988)
· Has Sierra Leone ratified CEDAW: Yes (11 November 1988)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 16 (following the 2007 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 181 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Sierra Leone a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Sierra Leone ratified CRPD: Yes (4 October 2010)
· Population with a disability: 808,666 (est.)