At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Senegal
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdoulaye WADE *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Cheikh Hadjibou SOUMARE
- Assembly: Senegal has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 120 seats.
* The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term which is renewable once.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale), 55 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 65 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Idrissa SECK
- Party: Rewmi Party
- Talla SYLLA
- Party: Jef/Jel Party
- Ousmane TANOR DIENG
- Party: Socialist Party (PS)
- Abdoulaye BATHILY
- Party: Democratic League-Labor Party Movement (LD/MPT)
- Abdoulaye WADE
- Party: Senegalese Democratic Party (PDS)
- Moustapha NIASSE
- Party: Alliance of Forces of Progress (AFP)
- Landing SAVANÉ
- Party: And-Jef/African Party for Democracy and Socialism (AJ/PADS)
- Robert SAGNA********
- Party: Democratic Solidarity
******** Robert SAGNA is a dissident of the formerly ruling Parti Socialiste du Sénégal (PSS). In December 2006, he announced he would run under the banner of the newly-formed Democratic Solidarity party.
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on election last held on 27 February and March 19, 2000 under prior constitution which provides for a seven-year presidential term. Abdoulaye WADE (PDS) was elected president with 58.5% against Abdou DIOUF (PS) with 41.5%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 11,897,230 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 4,917,157 (January 2007 est.)
· Female Population: 6,068,241 (2007)
· Is Senegal a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 July 1980)
· Has Senegal ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 February 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 23 (following the 2001 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 170 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Senegal a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 April 2007)
· Has Senegal ratified CRPD: Yes (7 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 1,784,584 (est.)