At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Venezuela
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias *
- Head of Government: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias
- Assembly: Venezuela has a unicameral National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) with 167 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government. The president is elected by popular vote to serve a 6-year term which is renewable once.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 6-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional), 65 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms, 68 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms, 31 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 3 members are reserved to serve 5-year terms.***
*** 65 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system and 99 by plurality vote in single- and multi-member constituencies (68 in single-member and 31 in multi-member constituencies). Three seats are reserved for the indigenous peoples of Venezuela. All members serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Hugo CHÁVEZ Frias*
- Party: Fifth Republic Movement / Movimiento Quinta República (MVR)
- Manuel ROSALES**
- Party: A New Era / Un Nuevo Tiempo
- Luis REYES
- Party: Joven
- Venezuela DA SILVA
- Party: New Social Order / Nuevo Orden Social (NOS)
- Carmelo ROMANO Pérez
- Party: Liberal United People Movement / Movimiento Liberal Pueblo Unido (MLPU)
- Alejandro SUÁREZ
- Party: Movimiento Sentir Nacional
- Eudes VERA
- Party: Independent candidate
- Carolina CONTRERAS
- Party: Independent candidate
- Pedro ARANGUREN
- Party: Movimiento Conciencia de País
- José TINEO
- Party: Venezuelan Third Millennium National Party / Nacional Venezuela Tercer Milenio (VTM)
- Yudith SALAZAR
- Party: Hijos de la Patria (HP)
- Angel IRIGOYEN
- Party: Let Us Break Chains / Rompamos Cadenas (RC)
- Homer RODRÍGUEZ
- Party: For Love of Venezuela / Por Querer a Venezuela
- Isbelia LEÓN
- Party: Strength and Peace Institution / Fuerza y Paz (IFP)
* In addition to MVR, Hugo CHÁVEZ enjoyed the support of 24 other parties.
** In addition to 'A New Era' party, Manuel ROSALES enjoyed the support of 43 other parties in this election.
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on 30 July 2000. Hugo CHAVEZ Frias was reelected president with 59.5% of the vote. He was followed by Francisco ARIAS with 37.5% and Claudio FERMIN with 3%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 25,730,435 (July 2006 est,)
- Registered Voters: 15,921,223 (November 2006 )
· Female Population: 13,603,432 (2006)
· Is Venezuela a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Venezuela ratified CEDAW: Yes (2 May 1983)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 29 (following the 2005 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 71 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Venezuela a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Venezuela ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (24 September 2013)
· Population with a disability: 3,859,565 (est.)