At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Tajikistan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Emomali RAHMONOV *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Oqil OQILOV
- Assembly: Tajikistan has a bicameral Supreme Assembly (Majlisi Oli) consisting of the National Assembly (Majlisi Milliy) with 34 seats and the Assembly of Representatives (Majlisi Namoyandagon) with 63 seats.
* The presidential term is renewable once.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 7-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Majlisi Milliy) 34 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 5-year terms*. In the Assembly of Representatives (Majlisi Namoyandagon), 22 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 41 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
* Of these, 25 are selected by local deputies, 8 are appointed by the president, while 1 seat is reserved for the former president.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Emomali RAKHMONOV
- Party: People's Democratic Party of Tajikistan (PDPT)
- Olimjon BOBOYEV
- Party: Party of Economic Reform (PER)
- Amir KARAKULOV
- Party: Agrarian Party of Tajikistan (APT)
- Ismoil TALBAKOV
- Party: Tajik Communist Party (CPT)
- Abdualim GAFFOROV
- Party: Socialist Party (SPT)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on 6 November 1999. Emomali RAHMONOV was elected president with 97% of the vote against Davlat USMON with 2%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,320,815 (July 2006 est.)
- Registered Voters: 3,356,221 (November 2006)
· Female Population: 3,456,441 (2006)
· Is Tajikistan a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Tajikistan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (26 October 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 11 (House of Representatives); 8 (National Assembly) following the 2005 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 129 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Tajikistan a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Tajikistan ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 1,098,122 (est.)