At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Bulgaria
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Georgi PARVANOV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Sergei STANISHEV
- Assembly: Bulgaria has a unicameral National Assembly (Narodno Sabranie) with 240 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Narodno Sabranie) 240 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** There are 31 multi-member districts in the list tier. There is a national threshold of 4 percent. Each MMD is also a single-member district in the nominal tier. Each voter gets two votes. Candidates in the list tier may stand in a maximum of two districts. Candidates in the nominal tier may stand in one district only.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Georgi PARVANOV
- Party: Independent Candidate
- Volen SIDEROV
- Party: Ataka Party
Population and number of registered voters
- Population: 7,699,020 (2006)
- Registered voters: 6,496,224 (2006)
· Female Population: 3,950,457 (2006)
· Is Bulgaria a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Bulgaria ratified CEDAW: Yes (8 February 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 50 (following the 2005 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 59 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Bulgaria a signatory to CRPD: Yes (27 September 2007)
· Has Bulgaria ratified CRPD: Yes (22 March 2012)
· Population with a disability: 1,154,853 (est.)