At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Gambia, The
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Yahya A. J. J JAMMEH
- Head of Government: President Yahya A. J. J. JAMMEH
- Assembly: Gambia, The has a unicameral National Assembly with 53 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly, 48 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 5 members are appointed by the president to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Yahya A. J. J. JAMMEH
- Party: Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction (APRC)
- Ousainou DARBOE**
- Coalition: United Democratic Party / National Reconciliation Party (UDP/NRP)
- Halifa SALLAH
- Party: National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD)
** Ousainou DARBOE is the leader of the United Democratic Party (UDP).
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on October 18, 2001. Yahya A. J. J. JAMMEH was reelected president with 52.9% of the vote against Ousainou DARBOE with 32.7%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,487,731 (2006)
- Registered Voters: 670,336 (September 2006 )
· Female Population: 750,378 (2006)
· Is The Gambia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 July 1980)
· Has The Gambia ratified CEDAW: Yes (16 April 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 7 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 175 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is The Gambia a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has The Gambia ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (6 July 2015)
· Population with a disability: 223,159 (est.)