At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Peru
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Alejandro TOLEDO Manrique
- Head of Government: President Alejandro TOLEDO Manrique
- Assembly: Peru has a unicameral Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica) with 120 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica) 120 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Alan GARCIA Pérez*
- Ollanta HUMALA Tasso**
- Party: Union for Peru / Unión por el Perú
* PAP is also known by its original name the American Revolutionary People's Alliance (Alianza Popular Revolucionaria Americana -APRA).
** Ollanta Humala is the leader of the Peruvian Nationalist Party (Partido Nacionalista Peruano PNP), but is running under the Union for Peru (Unión por el Perú) banner.
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on April 8, 2001, with a runoff election held on June 3, 2001. In the runoff, Alejandro TOLEDO Manrique was elected president with 53.1% of the vote against Alan GARCIA with 46.9%. These elections took place four years ahead of schedule.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 27,949,958 (2006)
- Registered Voters: 16,494,906 (April 2006)
· Female Population: 13,984,307 (2006)
· Is Peru a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (23 July 1981)
· Has Peru ratified CEDAW: Yes (13 September 1982)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 35 (following the 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 84 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Peru a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Peru ratified CRPD: Yes (30 January 2008)
· Population with a disability: 4,192,493 (est.)