At stake in this Referendum:
- Whether or not to build a new nuclear power plant in the country.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Rosen PLEVNELIEV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Boyko BORISSOV
- Assembly: Bulgaria has a unicameral National Assembly (Narodno Sabranie) with 240 seats. ***
*** There are 31 multi-member districts in the list tier. There is a national threshold of 4 percent. Each MMD is also a single-member district in the nominal tier. Each voter gets two votes. Candidates in the list tier may stand in a maximum of two districts. Candidates in the nominal tier may stand in one district only.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- For the construction of a new nuclear power plant in Bulgaria.
- At least 4,345,450 Bulgarian voters must vote for the result to be binding.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,265,115 (2013)
- Registered Voters: 6,950,900 (January 2013 )
· Female Population: 3,732,553 (2013)
· Is Bulgaria a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Bulgaria ratified CEDAW: Yes (8 February 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 50 (following the 2009 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 59 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Bulgaria a signatory to CRPD: Yes (27 September 2007)
· Has Bulgaria ratified CRPD: Yes (22 March 2012)
· Population with a disability: 1,089,767 (est.)