At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Cape Verde
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Pedro Verona Rodrigues PIRES *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Jose Maria Pereira Pereira NEVES
- Assembly: Cape Verde has a unicameral National Assembly (Assembleia Nacional) with 72 seats.
* On December 8, 2005, President of the Parliament Aristides Raimundo LIMA became Acting President of the Republic per a constitutional requirement that Pedro PIRES suspend his duties of office while he runs in this election.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assembleia Nacional) 72 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Pedro Verona Rodrigues PIRES
- Party: African Party for the Independence of Cape Verde / (PAICV)
- Carlos Alberto Wahnon de Carvalho VEIGA
- Party: Movement for Democracy / (MPD)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on February 11 and 25, 2001. Pedro PIRES (PAICV) was elected president with 49.43% of the vote against Carlos VEIGA (MPD) with 49.42%. The election was won by only 12 votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 475,947 (January 2006 est.)
- Registered Voters: 323,554 (February 2006 )
· Female Population: 243,893 (2006)
· Is Cape Verde a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Cape Verde ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (5 December 1980)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 11 (following 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 122 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Cape Verde a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Caper Verde ratified CRPD: Yes (10 October 2011)
· Population with a disability: 71,392 (est.)