At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Djibouti
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ismail Omar GUELLEH
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mohamed Dileita DILEITA
- Assembly: Djibouti has a unicameral Chamber of Deputies (Assemblée nationale) with 65 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 6-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the Chamber of Deputies (Assemblée nationale) 65 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Ismail Omar GUELLEH*
- Party: (RPP)
* GUELLEH was the only candidate to register for the election.
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on April 9, 1999. Ismail Omar GUELLEH won 74.4% of the vote and Moussa Ahmed IDRIS secured 25.6% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 778,406 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 198,332 (April 2005 )
· Female Population: 386,867 (2005)
· Is Djibouti a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Djibouti ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (2 December 1998)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 7 (following the 2003 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 168 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Djibouti a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Djibouti ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (18 June 2012)
· Population with a disability: 116,760 (est.)