At stake in this Referendum:
- The construction of a new nuclear power plant in Visaginas, Lithuania.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Dalia GRYBAUSKAITE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Andrius KUBILIUS
- Assembly: Lithuania has a unicameral Parliament (Seimas) with 141 seats. ***
*** In the nominal tier, if 40 percent of registered voters turn out, the winner must have an absolute majority. If fewer than 40 percent turn out, the winner must have at least 20 percent of votes. If neither condition is satisfied and there have been at least two candidates, there is a runoff round. In the proportional tier, an election is valid of at least 25 percent of registered voters turn out.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- A consultative referendum to allow the construction of a new nuclear power plant in Visaginas, Lithuania.
- Turnout must exceed 50 percent of the electorate. The yes vote must total at least 50 percent for passage. The results of the referendum will not be binding on the government.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,987,773 (2012)
- Registered Voters: 2,588,418 (October 2012)
· Female Population: 1,611,827 (2012)
· Is Lithuania a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Lithuania ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (18 January 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 34 (following the 2012 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 37 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Lithuania a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Lithuania ratified CRPD: Yes (18 August 2010)
· Population with a disability: 448,165 (est.)