At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Ghana
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President John Agyekum KUFUOR *
- Head of Government: President John Agyekum KUFUOR
- Assembly: Ghana has a unicameral Parliament with 230 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Parliament 230 members are elected by simple majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- John Agyekum KUFUOR
- Party: New Patriotic Party (NPP)
- John Evans ATTA-MILLS
- Party: National Democratic Congress (NDC)
- Edward MAHAMA
- Party: People's National Convention (PNC)
- George AGGUDEY
- Party: Convention People's Party (CPP)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election took place on December 7 and 28, 2000. In this election, John Agyekum KUFUOR won the presidency with 56.4% of the valid votes while John Evans ATTA MILLS secured 43.6% of the votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 20,840,493 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 10,296,970 (December 2004 )
· Female Population: 10,402,918 (2004)
· Is Ghana a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ghana ratified CEDAW: Yes (2 January 1985)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 25 (following the 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 140 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Ghana a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Ghana ratified CRPD: Yes (31 July 2012)
· Population with a disability: 3,126,073 (est.)