At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Niger
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President TANDJA Mamadou
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Hama AMADOU
- Assembly: Niger has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 113 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 83 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Mahamadou ISSHOUFOU
- Party: Nigerien Party for Democracy and Socialism-Tarayya
- Mamadou TANDJA
- Party: National Movement for a Developing Society-Nassara
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election took place on November 24, 1999. In this election, Mamadou TANDJA of the National Movement for a Developing Society-Nassara (MNSD-Nassara) won the presidency with 59.9% of the valid votes while Mahamadou ISSHOUFOU of the Nig
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 12,996,012 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 5,255,232 ( 2004 )
· Female Population: 6,477,605 (2004)
· Is Niger a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Niger ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (8 October 1999)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 14 (following the 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 188 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Niger a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Niger ratified CRPD: Yes (24 June 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,949,401 (est.)