At stake in this Referendum:
- Voters will vote on whether they wish that the Falkland Islands remains its present political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom. Should the referendum fail, the Falkland Islands will hold another referendum on the preferred future status of the Islands.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Chief Executive Keith PADGETT
- Assembly: Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) has a unicameral Legislative Assembly with 0 seats.
* The Queen is represented by the Governor of the Falkland Islands. The current Governor is Nigel HAYWOOD.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom?
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,563 (October 2012 )
- Registered Voters: 1,672 (March 2013 )