At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Panama
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mireya Elisa MOSCOSO Rodriguez *
- Head of Government: President Mireya Elisa MOSCOSO Rodriguez
- Assembly: Panama has a unicameral National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) with 78 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by simple majority vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) 78 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.***
*** The number of seats in the Legislative Assembly will be increased to 78 from 2004-2009 due to the last census.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Martin TORRIJOS Espino
- Party: Revolutionary Democratic Party / (PRD)
- Guillermo ENDARA Galimany
- Party: Solidarity Party / (PS)
- José Miguel ALEMÁN
- Party: Arnulfist Party / (PA)
- Ricardo MARTINELLI
- Party: Democratic Change / (CD)
Last Presidential election:
- Panama held its last presidential election on May 2, 1999. In this election, Mireya Elisa MOSCOSO Rodríguez of the Arnulfist Party (PA) was elected president with 44.8% of the votes while Martín TORRIJOS of the PRD came in second with 37.8% of the valid votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,260,611 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 1,999,553 (May 2004)
· Female Population: 1,619,330 (2004)
· Is Panama a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (26 June 1980)
· Has Panama ratified CEDAW: Yes (29 October 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 13 (following the 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 60 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Panama a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Panama ratified CRPD: Yes (7 August 2007)
· Population with a disability: 489,091 (est.)