At stake in this election:
- The office of President of South Africa
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Thabo MBEKI
- Head of Government: President Thabo MBEKI
- Assembly: South Africa has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the National Assembly with 400 seats and the National Council of Provinces with 90 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly 400 members are elected by popular vote. In the National Council of Provinces 90 members are elected .**
** The National Council of Provinces (NCOP) consists of nine provincial delegations nominated by the provincial legislatures, and a delegation from the South African Local Government Association (SALGA). Each of the provinces is allotted 10 seats in the NCOP.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 42,768,678 ( 2003 est.)
- Registered Voters: 20,674,926 ( 2004 )
· Female Population: 23,726,298 (2004)
· Is South Africa a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 January 1993)
· Has South Africa ratified CEDAW: Yes (15 December 1995)
· Gender Quota: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 131 (National Assembly); 18 (National Council) following the 2004 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 116 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is South Africa a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has South Africa ratified CRPD: Yes (30 November 2007)
· Population with a disability: 6,966,165 (est.)