At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Montenegro
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Filip VUJANOVIC *
- Head of Government: Premier-Designate Milo DJUKANOVIC **
- Assembly: Montenegro has a unicameral Assembly (Skupstina) with 75 seats.
* On November 25, President Milo Djukanovic resigned and the President of the Assembly, Filip Vujanovic, assumed the powers of the President until a new president is elected.
** On November 26, Acting President Vujanovic handed the mandate of government to Milo Djukanovic who now has 60 days to form a government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by direct popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Assembly (Skupstina) 75 members are elected by direct vote to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Members are electioned on a single national proportional representation list.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Filip VUJANOVIC
- Party: Democractic Party of Socialists
- Miodrag ZIVKOVIC
- Party: Liberal Alliance
- Dragan HAJDUKOVIC
- Party: Independent
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on October 5 and 19, 1997. Since then, two elections were held on February 9, 2003 and on December 22, 2002, but they were declared invalid due to low voter turnout.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 615,035 ( 1991 Population Census)
- Registered Voters: 458,339 ( 2003 )